Join the kids of the Yard to learn how scientists study earthquakes! Made with our partners at Wisconsin DPI and Wisconsin Virtual Schools.
At a Glance
- Grades: 5-8
- Playtime: 10-20 minutes
- Play from a web browser—no logins or downloads required
- Free to play
About the Game
This playful, interactive simulation uses shockwaves and tin-can towns to introduce players to how scientists study earthquakes! Players learn about topics like S and P waves, epicenters, and triangulation.
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data,
- Constructing explanations and designing solutions,
- Mathematics and Computational Thinking,
- Earth’s Materials and Systems,
- Scale Proportion and Quantity,
- S Waves & P Waves,
Next Gen Science Standards (NGSS)
- MS-ESS1- 4,
- single player
About the Yard Games
Earthquake! is part of the Yard Games, our collection of middle school science games. Designed as playful introductions to complex topics, the games are online and free to play.
We created the Yard Games with our amazing partners at Wisconsin DPI and Wisconsin Virtual Schools. Our team relied on the expertise of teacher fellows from across Wisconsin to help conceive, design, and test the games.